Friday, October 31, 2008

Barbies solve EVERYTHING....




Barbies solve EVERYTHING.... Ask Alyssa, my April 2009 model for LifeWay's ParentLife Magazine and she'll tell you with complete sincerity that it's true!

I did something I've never done before on this shoot. It was the end of the day and Alyssa was tired and she was trying so hard to smile for the camera. So.... we brought out the BIG GUNS. A present from Mom which entailed SIX different Barbies. Heaven to a little girl...

So I asked Alyssa if I could play with Rapunzel and Belle, and after a moments thought she smiled and handed them over to me. So I held them against my face, sandwiched between me and the camera, and I tried desperately to see my viewfinder through their mountain of hair...

Belle (AKA "me"): "Alyssa, I SO am excited to get to go home with you! Do you have cookies and cake?"

Alyssa (completely serious): "Well, I have cookies but I don't have any cake. (Looks briefly saddened at that but brightens up at the next thought) But, do you like ice cream? We have ice cream!"

And on the conversation went... You get the picture. I had to look utterly ridiculous with the Barbies pressed against my face as I snapped pictures, trying to keep from eating their hair as I talked. All the while, she chatted excitedly with them as they peeked over the top of my camera.

This totally reminded of how real my bears were to me when I was little. I had a Friend Bear. Remember the Care Bears? Friend Bear was my little buddy and all my twin Jennifer had to do was kidnap the little guy and all Hell broke lose in the McGaughey household. I remember her like it was yesterday, standing at the top of the stairs, grinning at me, and throwing the little guy down as I shrieked in utter horror. Of course I ran to Mom, hysterical over the little guy taking a death trip down the stairs. Mom was such a saint and managed to keep a straight face, all the while looking sympathetic. Honestly, I think she was just happy the two of us weren't killing each other for once, just the stuffed animals.

But I will say that I love my sister dearly and just as she's forgiven me for all the stuff I did to her, she's long been forgiven for attempting to kill Friend Bear. (Side Note: I buried all her stuffed animals the last time I was home...lol... No I didn't, but that would be kind of funny...lol...)

Here are some funny shots from the shoot as well as my favorite....


Talking to the Barbies before I sandwiched them behind the camera...


This is one of her MANY silly faces- this kid has personality and loved making silly faces
almost as much as she loved talking to her Barbies.



Isn't she beautiful....

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I love you - you are so stinkin' creative girl! (and, of course, the best photographer in the world - I'm not biased at all!) I miss you so much!!!

Love you,
chelle

PS: I created a Google account just to post comments on your blogs - how does that make you feel? :-) :-)

Chris said...

These are so wonderful! And I love the Barbies. Very sweet :)

The Velvet Trunk said...

Awww....I feel special! :)

Hugs to you both! :)
-Mel

Michele said...

I had Wish Bear and Melanie had Funshine. These creatures were so sacred that I honestly can't imagine any circumstances under which one of us would have dared to steal the other's bear... :)

georgia b. said...

i can relate to this on so many levels.

love of care bears--for one.

secondly--oh the malicious acts from my childhood that i have had to forgive my twin sister for. how can someone who loves us so much (and who we love so much) do such terrible things to our dolls and toys?!
:)

glad you have patched things up since the terrible incident.

also, keep those barbies close at hand. from the pictures, i see they really worked! what a great head of hair Alyssa has, too!

Tothblog said...

I still have all of my care bears! They are in storage, but I have them. They were my favorite. You are amazingly talented.