Today is my anniversary. Every year at this time I take off work, turn off my cell, try not to check my email, and try to remember to say thank you for what happened seven years ago....
You see, I grew up in a Christian home and from the time I was a child I never remember not believing in God. Eventually I surrendered my life to Him, and then in 1998, at one of the hardest times in my life, I fell head over heels in love with Him. Then one day, several years later, as I drove down the interstate, I was suddenly overtaken with this paralyzing realization that I didn't know if God was really God anymore. I can honestly say I'd never doubted Him before, not even in the slightest b/c He'd been the only thing I'd even known for sure- why now? And what scared me even more, was that I knew that if He wasn't God, if it was all a lie, then there was no other Savior.
Nearly a month later, I lost all will to live. And it just happened to be at a church camp of all things. I wandered into the girls bathroom at 3am in the morning, with everyone else sound asleep. With hundreds of girls I was bound to find a razor, or pain medicine, or something. But the only thing that lay on the counter shared by nearly two hundred college-aged girls was a single bottle of shampoo. My eyes raised to the mirror- but it was one large piece, extending to both sides of the room. No glass, no razors, no pills, nothing… I couldn't believe it. I stormed out of that bathroom begging God for a car to come around the corner and hit me. And when it didn't I cursed Him...
I walked out to the lake and stood under the pine trees with my fist raised to the sky, and I raged against Him, cursing the very One I wasn't even sure was there. As I stood there getting ready to walk into the lake, the wind suddenly tore through the pine trees. It rushed hard against me, literally pushing me away from the lake. As the wind pushed against me and leaves flew around me I suddenly felt arms wrapped around me. I knew at that moment, more than I knew anything, that God was fighting for me. And for the first time in my life, I saw Him as my warrior. To this day every time I feel the wind rush against me, I can't help but close my eyes and think "Yes, You are here aren't You?...." And I can almost feel His arms wrapped around me again.
As I stood under the stars next to another lake tonight, I was overcome with tears of amazement that I'm alive and that I have been given another chance at this life. And as I stood there I realized I wanted to share my story with you all. Because I'm here to share it. I'm here....
Lord, every day, You save my life.
"I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done..."
-Psalm 40

8 comments:
This brought me to tears. God is fighting an intense battle for my soul at this very point in time, stronger than He has ever needed to before. It is encouraging to know that you have walked this path. Your example pushes me to surrender. Thank you for your story and your life. Although you are a stranger, you are a friend.
Love,
Claire
Wow, Mel this brought tears to my eyes as well. You are such a beautiful soul that i am so blessed to have met in my lifetime. Look at what the Lord has done with your talents. So glad that you yielded to his voice.
Hey sweetie! Thank you for sharing your awesome story. Now everytime I feel the wind I'm going to think of you and Jesus! :)
I'm so glad you were brought into our lives!
Hope you had a good anniversary day off!!!
Love you!
Laurie
Oh, wow, Melanie! This is just an incredible testimony! I identify with that time in your life, as I have been there, too. I felt honored to read your story and learn something so personal about you.
What an amazing God! I will never feel a strong wind the same again.
Thank you for sharing this.
I'm so glad you shared this with us all. It sounds like it has been such an incredible journey for you so far, yet it's wonderful that you have rediscovered the comfort you once had.
Thanks girls- to all of you who have posted comments. I had a minor moment of "what the heck did I do?" the day after I posted this- sharing something so personal on my business blog of all things. But I realized again, that I had to. I had to tell about the hope I'd found. So thanks for your precious words and your precious lives. Love and hugs to you all!
-Mel
I didn't know about this, Mel... how great is our God! Isn't it amazing that He, who is holy and perfect and could have anything He wanted, wants you and me? Sinners, so unworthy of anything - yet God WANTS us, blesses us, gives His mercy and grace so freely... it just blows my mind and is insanely overwhelming to me.
Mel, you inspire me so much! Love you!
This is such a beautiful testimony to the strength of God... Thank you for sharing such an intimate story. You're truly an inspiration.
God bless.
Chelsea
Post a Comment