Thursday, November 20, 2008

Step Away From The Computer...

I just had one of those moments that usually come to me around 2 or 3 in the morning. They're dangerous moments. The kind that make me do stupid things like accidentally format my hard drive, instead of a CD. I actually did that once- at 2am, and woke up to find a LOT more space free on my computer than there was before! Since that fateful night, I make it a point to try not to touch the computer past midnight b/c who knows what else I'm capable of doing....

I had one of those moments today in broad daylight.

You see for a long time I've wanted to buy the domain name "velvettrunk.com" and redirect it to my site because a lot of people forget the "the" in front of my website and therefore, never find me. So today, rather out of the blue, I decided to finally do it.

So I logged into GoDaddy's website and registered the website name. Then, two minutes later, I realized "WAIT! I need to transfer this over to Crystal Tech (my hosting company)!" So, I did, but as soon as I did I realized it looked a lot like I'd registered the same website again. Hmm....that wasn't possible.... But hey, I see the impossible every day, so I was inclined to believe someone how the impossible worked for me!

So I called GoDaddy and got the nicest guy on the phone and explained to him that I just registered (on accident of course) the same website with Crystal Tech so I needed to cancel my order and get my money back.

Go Daddy: "But, that's completely impossible," he said after a long moment of silence.

Me: "I figured as much." (All the while thinking "But not impossible with me- I AM ABOVE the system!")

Go Daddy: "Now, are you sure you registered the EXACT same name, you checked the spelling and everything?" he cautioned. "Because if we cancel this order, and it's not registered elsewhere you won't have access to it for four months!"

Me: (rather confidently) "Yes, of course. It would be almost IMPOSSIBLE to misspell the name of MY OWN business- I write it every day. It would be pretty hard for me to get wrong!" (And just to make my point I pulled up my account with them and double checked it. Everything was right- I was INVINCIBLE- I HAD beat the system!!!)


Two minutes later, I tried to log into my new website's account and couldn't. Hmm....weird...It's a fluke I thought. Must not have taken yet. So I went back to my registration page with them and saw the problem.


I had definitely registered a website name, just not the one I thought. So, for that moment at least, I owned "velettrunk.com". To my own credit, it was only one letter off....But still....

So then I had to call Crystal Tech and tell them what I did. Normally the guys there are way to serious for their own good- smart and helpful, but almost always serious. This guy laughed so hard when I told him the series of events, it sounded like he actually set the phone down because he was laughing so hard. I was just thankful that he had a sense of humor about it and didn't hang up on me for my stupidity. We both agreed that I needed to just back away from the computer for a while, and not attempt anything remotely technical. I promised him I would... for the safety of my business.

So, I am off to work on something I can't single-handedly destroy- wish me luck! ;-)

4 comments:

Michele said...

It's so fun to laugh with you...about you. ;)

georgia b. said...

oh, no!
:)

that is too funny.

i'm glad everyone was nice and helpful and lighthearted about the whole thing.

WILL said...

That's hilarious! I thought about you today. I was really having a hard time with some "stuff" and all of a sudden I heard a gust of wind blew in to the side of the house. I think it was just a friendly reminder of who is really running the show. Thanks for that! :)
-Will

The Velvet Trunk said...

Wow, Will, that's really cool. Love those reminders! :)