Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I'm Singing...

Does anybody but me ever wish we had some sort of soundtrack to our lives? So many times I've wished for that, for giant speakers in the sky that would just play beautiful music at all the right times, like you hear in the movies. Music that would help me cry when I needed to cry, dance when I needed a reason to, and grit my teeth with courage when I'm frozen in fear.

As I walked around Radnor Lake a little over a week ago I had my soundtrack. It was a song called "Singing Over Me" that I had just downloaded from iTunes the day before. For nearly three hours as I walked around that lake and on the muddy trails I heard this song as if someone was walking behind me with a radio. Zephaniah 3:17 says "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take GREAT delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with SINGING." God sings over us, and for the first time in my life I knew what that felt like. God, the God of the universe, remembered me, and He was singing over me...

"Singing Over Me" by Kari Jobe

When I waited so long, when my tears were my song
With my hope nearly gone You held me God
To believe in the face of the dry, weary place
When You felt far away You held me God

Oh, there is freedom in surrender, oh I know it

Your songs have NEVER stopped
You've been singing, always singing over me
Your words are still enough
And You're singing, always singing over me

The chaos in the cause teaching me to see Lord
The beauty in the storm so I believe
When I see through Your eyes, through the testing of time
Every cloud silver lined 'cause You're with me

Oh, there is freedom in surrender, oh I know it

Give me faith
Give me strength enough to wait
To stand in faith
And listen for, listen for Your melody


I went back to Radnor yesterday with one of my best girlfriends, Susan. We walked and talked, and and no, there was no soundtrack, but we didn't need one. We knew He was singing... ;-)
Here are some fun shots from the day....


Susan and I... =)
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

There were canoes right by this little inlet, and unless I'm mistaken there wasn't a sign saying we couldn't take one out on the lake. I'm still thinking over the consequences of possibly taking one out one day. Really, what's the worst that could happen? Would the park "rangers" come out on the lake to get us or just wait for us to give up and come back to shore? Hmmm, now that's a YouTube video just waiting to happen.... ;-)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Love to take pictures straight up into the trees, let the focus stay off, and just get bubbles of light... =)
Photobucket

One lone little guy that was trying to grow inside a fence post...
Photobucket

Isn't this tree just magical?...
Photobucket

This is a perfect example of a very ugly shot turned into something pretty cool. If you can, change your camera's focus to Manual and start turning that focus ring! This is the exact same shot with me manually focusing on the tiny vine you'll see below...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Check this out. The "couple" is looking out at the lake together and then they turn and "kiss". And then, after I shot these, they started "yelling" at each other. Seriously! ...lol...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Maybe this one is kind of creepy but I really like it. Go figure...
Photobucket

My favorite shot of the day. Susan walking into a pool of light in front of me. =)
Photobucket


Couldn't' find "Singing Over Me" so you could hear it but here is another song by Kari Jobe that's pretty darn cool. Check this out...

P.S. And if you comment on this you've got to tell me why you're singing! ;-)
Love you all! I'm singing!! =)

8 comments:

georgia b. said...

i am beyond stunned by this post. Mel, you are incredibly gifted and creative. not just your photos, but your writing.

i am adoring these intentionally blurry photos. may i please post one of those last shots with the bokeh and the shape of a figure on my "...shhhh" blog—with a credit and link to you, of course.

i'd also love to interview you with and about those shots on Ethereal.

all are so beauitful. and the tree shots? amazing! just when i think you couldn't possibly impress me more, you do. i sure can't wait to meet you! i hope it works out! i've got you penned in for friday morning.

Tothblog said...

I am singing "Mighty to Save". Love that song.

The pictures are amazing.

Luv you too!

Kristen
http://tothblog.blogspot.com/

The Velvet Trunk said...

Since I asked all of you to write what you're singing about, I figured I should do it as well. Wouldn't be fair otherwise... ;-)

I'm singing b/c God gave me a second chance at life and I am ALIVE and FREE b/c my God is MIGHTY to save. And I am singing because b/c I am "more than a conqueror" through the God that LOVES us and NOTHING can separate me from His love! Nothing!!

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
-Romans 8:37-39

Michele said...

I'm singing because I'm happy, Mel. I know you typically expect me to come up with something wordy, overly emotional, and borderline philosophical.

But you understand more than most how absolutely RADICAL this statement is for me: I'm singing because I'm happy!

The Velvet Trunk said...

Yes Mam, I sure do!!!!

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

Anonymous said...

I'm singing too. God is so good. The version I have says "the lord thy god IN THE MIDST OF THEE is Mighty". If we have him in our hearts and minds he is so very mighty-and honey you do. He is so proud of you and just cherishes his time with you!

-Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm singing...
- Because I have a God that loves me more than I know and is up to
something big in my life.
- Because He has healed me from a behavior pattern that I never thought I would get over!
- Because I have friends that love me and care about me.
- Because I know that God will take care of me, in every way, even
though He is about to take me from my church and my friends.
- Because I know that He is and will be faithful!"

-Ben

Anonymous said...

I'm singing because God has blessed me with amazing friends and family. He knows my heart's desire and somehow has always exceeded what I thought it was! Why should he stop now!!
I love that God is in control and orders our every steps if we are trusting Him to do so. He even gives us angels along the way (including you Mel!) who will have just the right words to encourage in those times when we fail to trust Him. The best part is that He walked in our shoes and promises that there is nothing we will go through that he can't relate to. His word says in Psalm 91 (last verse) "I will satisfy him with a full life and give him my salvation". Is there really anything left to desire? :)
-Beth