Maternity shoots are some of my favorite to shoot because it's such an special time for my clients. They're waiting and dreaming and just excited to meet the little one who's already claimed their heart. And I get to be a part of it! So to say the least, I was thrilled when Melanie called me and wanted me to capture her first pregnancy.
Armed with the wonderful Rachel Ratajeski as my assistant, a wardrobe of cool clothes and accessories, and (most importantly to me) CHIGGER SPRAY, we headed out to our first location. Melanie was such a trooper and laid down in a huge bed of clover for our first set of shots without using my trusty chigger spray. (Granted, with all of its chemicals, it's probably worse for you than the chiggers, but still...I'm more scared of the chiggers.) Slightly terrified, I kept shooting, muttering prayers for protection from chiggers under my breath. She, on the other hand, was as cool as a cucumber. I know women can tend to have a reputation of being high maintenance, but this chick is not! And she was right not to be worried- we walked away chigger-free (thank you Jesus! ;-)
For our next location, we headed out to Natchez Trace to shoot near the entrance which was literally covered in red buds. An hour later, the sun was setting, so with our eyes on the clock, Melanie and I waved goodbye to Rachel and the redbuds and hopped in my car for another location further down the trace. Realizing that we were running out of light and may not make it to the third location, we prayed for a big field so we could at least get the sunset. A few minutes later we rounded a bend and saw a huge field off to our right. We drove off the road, down the hill (I LOVE my SUV) and right into the field, thinking we could sweet talk our way out of any tickets. (Assuming we got a male cop, that is. Otherwise, we'd probably be in trouble...Then again she is pregnant so maybe we could use that for leverage? I kid, I kid...;-)) But the sunset was PHENOMENAL and we just shot away, praising the Lord for such a gorgeous job, for a baby we'd soon get to meet, for a new friend, sweet conversation, and for the MANY blessings the Lord has brought our way.
As Melanie hugged me goodbye after our shoot I was this close to saying "I just love you!" But of course, regardless of the fact that I tell all my girlfriends that, I'd only known her for ONE day. Actually LESS than a day, AND she's a client! I needed to maintain some semblance of professionalism. But as she let me go from the hug she gave me, she cheerfully exclaimed- "I love ya girl!" I had to laugh as I echoed it right back to her. I walked around the rest of the day telling everybody (and I do mean everybody) how much I loved my job and my amazing new client, who happened to have the same name as me. 









3 fave podcasts.
10 years ago

20 comments:
Unbelievable job. These are stunning shots and I'm extremely jealous of your talent.
You are absolutely kidding me. These are ridiculously stunning!!! It was so great to see you :)
absolutely amazing... a-maaaaz-ing... you are soo gifted. ok.. i need to pick another weekend to come hang out! :) i'll be your assistant if you need me to! :)
these are amazing!! love the pops of color! great work :)
WOW Mel! You are so incredibly talented!
your new blog look is so fantastic! wow, melanie! you are so beautiful and creative. just gorgeous!
will you be around from May 28 through June 1? i will be in town and would LOVE to meet you!
LOVE LOVE LOVE them Mel!!! FAB-ulous job!
These are beautiful!
Wow, thanks for all the love you guys!! Love you all!! Hugs.... =)
-Mel
Seriously?? Seriously?!!? I can't stand your insane talent! When I pop some babies out, I'm packing them up in the car and headed SOUTH! You're ridiculous!
I want to know where that field is!
amazing
thanks for using your talent and using it well
Thanks for feeding our souls with the beauty you see
Astrid
simply dreamy.
God made our world so beautiful...the beauty is in nature, but also in the miracle of life....thank you for sharing your spiritual gift. :)
Oh those images are gorgeous!! Can I ask though... What is a chigger?
Hey Dominoe! They're relatives of the Tick family but are REALLY tiny and attach themselves to your skin where they'll inject their saliva, and feed. Just be glad you've never heard of them!! Here is a link for more info if you really want to know. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_mite
So beautiful...you have completely inspired me!
I so wish I had known of you when I was pregnant and my boys were tiny. Maybe there will be more - God willing. :) Your work is gorgeous!!
I LOVE the wide angle and the blue blue sky and the green green grass.
those are all so amazing! great story; great subject; beautiful pics; amazing day; glad it was so great!!!! :)
wow. that shot of her off to the right with that amazing sky! Love it.
Post a Comment